You may have noticed that I was quite late in releasing new MSIs recently for the new versions of MVVM Light. The explanation is simple: I hate, with a passion, to make (and especially test) MSIs.
A bit of history: In the early days, the MVVM Light installation process was a bit cumbersome and manual. I asked for help and my friend Morten offered to make an MSI (with Wix) to install MVVM Light. The main reason why we chose MSI over VSIX is because of the (supposed) restrictions of VSIX installers, notably for code snippets.
I will come back on this a bit later with a larger blog post explaining the new setup. In the moment, I need some testers to try installing the new version (4.2.30) on their system and give me feedback. This is a brand new setup that does not involve any MSI but only VSIX files. Now, every documentation I could find (and every Microsoft people I asked except one) told me that code snippets cannot be installed with VSIX. Turns out it was wrong, and in fact you can (kudos to Mads for pointing me in the right direction by the way!)
How can I help?
Thanks for asking! You can help by doing the following:
- (if applicable) Uninstall any version of MVVM Light you may have on your system.
- Make sure that you have the latest version of Nuget (in Visual Studio, check Tools, Extensions and Updates, Updates and update Nuget if available).
- Download the following VSIX files:
- Try to install the VSIX you downloaded by double clicking it.
A successful install will allow you to do the following:
- Open Visual Studio.
- Check that MVVM Light is available under Tools, Extensions and Updates in the list of installed extensions.
- Select File, New Project.
- See all the MVVM Light templates installed:
- For VS12: Silverlight 4 and 5; WPF3.5, 4 and 4.5; Windows Phone 7.1 and 8; Windows 8.0
- For VS13: Silverlight 5; WPF3.5, 4 and 4.5; Windows Phone 8; Windows 8.0
- Create a new application for any of these templates.
- Be able to build without errors.
- Place the cursor anywhere in the code and type “mvvm”. You should see the MVVM Light code snippets in Intellisense (only if you don’t use the Resharper Intellisense!!) such as mvvminpc, mvvminpcset, mvvmrelay and more.
I’d love some feedback. If things look good, I will still add the following:
- Windows 8.1 project template.
- Support for all VS express versions.
- Support for Visual Studio 10.
Let me know, preferably either here using the feedback form below or on Twitter.
Thanks for your help!