Silverlight video on my PhotoAlbum website
You can now watch videos on my PhotoAlbum using Silverlight!! Currently, two pages have video: Pune, India and Calcutta Rescue’s projects in Kolkata. To start the video, locate the thumbnails marked with a “movie” label, and click them.
Features of the modified player:
- Clicking on a thumbnail will bring the movie player in the foreground with a fade-in animation.
- New look&feel: I wanted to see how easy it is to modify the player’s look&feel, and it’s very easy. DISCLAIMER: I am not a graphics designer. I happen to like my player’s new look&feel, but maybe it’s a bit too bright. I love that you can change the shape of the video window!
- All usual controls are hidden on the player. Move to mouse on the player to see the buttons play, stop, forward, etc…
- Chapters are available on the player. Click the button (1) to display the chapters.
- New buttons: Zoom in, Zoom out, Close: These buttons trigger a XAML animation to zoom in the movie, respectively zoom out or close the player.
- I modified the “buffering graphics” control, because it was too big and yellow for my taste. Also, I corrected a bug in the script which caused the “buffering” animation to never start.
- The movie will start playing only when the movie player is displayed (at the end of the fade-in animation) and it will pause when the player is hidden.
TODO after the holidays:
- Use Silverlight Streaming instead of my own server
- Handle multiple movies on one page
- Integrate in the Thumbnails control, which creates the PhotoAlbum webpages automatically according to the content of the folders and to some XML configuration files.
- Write a more detailed post about the process to modify the existing player.xaml. I took a lot of notes during the process, as well as screenshots, and I will post an article about this on my website in August.
I’d be interested to learn about your experiences with the video player when Silverlight is not installed. I tested on a few machines, and it went well, but I’d love to hear if you had problems with the installation. Let me know using the feedback form!
Going in holidays
On a side note, it’s holiday time for me! We’re leaving tomorrow for two weeks. We fly to Palermo, Sicily, Italy first, and from there we will rent a car and drive around the island. We will stay in bed and breakfasts and hopefully have a great time visiting Sicily! I am very happy to have that occasion to relax, and believe it or not, I don’t take a laptop! (well, I take my PDA, but that doesn’t count, does it?)
See you end of July!
This post was imported from my old blog. Original comments screenshot: